Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lenten Lament

This is the first day of Lent.  It seemed to spring up out of nowhere and I have been scrambling to find something to give up.  I'm not Catholic, but I don't believe that means that I can't participate in Lent.  Every year I've given up something for Lent, people have asked me confusedly, "Are you Catholic?"  No.  I just love God. And, it's something I want to do.

In years past I've given up sweets, pop, facebook.  To be honest each thing was much easier to do than I had originally thought.  They weren't easy tasks, but I succeeded.  In my mind, Lent was about making some sort of sacrifice (no matter how superficial) with the help of God.  I'm a human being, so I tend to lack will power and motivation from time to time.  I love sweets.  I love pop.  I am admittedly addicted to facebook.  So, no matter how insignificant those sacrifices sound, they were difficult.  But the minute I put it in my mind that I was doing this to strengthen myself with God's help, they became less challenging tasks.  Now, if only I could apply that mentality to the big things in life all year round.

I read an article today that spurred this blog, which looks to Lent as a reminder of our weakness.  A reminder that we are sinners.  That we are imperfect and that Jesus has to do the work for us.  So, that is what I will focus on this Lent season: thanking God that He is perfect because there would be no hope if I had to be. 

Today I am thankful for: sunny days, early days off from work, opportunities to learn

No comments:

Post a Comment